In 1939, the Wausau Daily Record-Herald published an article, and some members of the public did not catch on that it was a fake story and that it was April Fool's Day.
Although only around six years apart, the two public gatherings on Wausau's Third Street shown in these postcards reveal the changing attitudes towards German-Americans in the 1910s.
In 1979, Ed Schoenberger constructed his public art installation, "The Pinery," which led to vigorous discussion and debate.
During his youth in the early 1880s, John H. Koehler remembered being enamored with the ginseng plants he encountered in the shaded forest near his family farm in Hamburg Township. Although it would take a few years before he returned to the crop, Koehler would become a major figure in the development of the industry.
The results of and information about the historic picture judging at our booth this year at the Wisconsin Valley Fair.
During his time volunteering with our image digitization program, Ray Wery scanned and preserved hundreds of historic images of Marathon County. This panoramic photo of a 1912 baseball game was one of his favorites.
On June 9th, 1914, over 12,000 people gathered in downtown Wausau for the unveiling of a new sign over the city hall. The new sign stood thirty feet tall, with hundreds of electric lights to illuminate the massive letters that spelled out the new city slogan: WORK FOR WAUSAU.